Monday, June 16, 2008

Precious Times


This weekend I got to babysit my GREAT nephew a lot because his Mom was moving into a new apartment. We had so much fun together! We went to the park, and he came over and saw our puppies, Rocky and Harley, and he fed our mean cat kitty treats. It is quite amazing that the Kitty actually likes him, because she truly doesn't really like anyone. On Sunday we took him to church with us. He was a little intimidated when we left him in the nursery, but he did fine. When I went to pick him up he was sitting in a big armchair with another little girl around his age with his little hands folded in his lap listening to a story. It was so cute! Ross was waiting for me outside after church, letting him put my keys into the trunk and opening it over and over. It reminded me how patient of a father he was, and I was glad that Keegan gets to be around Ross.

Then we went to the zoo together. It was really hot and he was getting a little tired and cranky, but we had lots of fun. He was amazed at the elephants and he liked the monkeys, but I think his favorite was watching the little penguins swimming. He kept pointing at them and saying see? see? We didn't go through the entire zoo because he didn't want to sit in his stroller anymore and I didn't want to carry him all that way, so we compromised and went home!

He seems to think that we come in a set, because every time one of us sees him he says the rest of our names... LaLa (his very favorite!), Aunt Suooo, Uncle, and A-am, Rocky (also sounds like cookie), Har-ey, and of course KiKi (kitty). Where is she? Where is he? over and over again... it is interesting that he rarely says the other side of his family when he is with us... seems to know that we are separate from them. Of course, he always asks for Mama! She is his center of the universe (as it should be!).

He is such a good little talker, I am hoping that he won't get as frustrated as some 2-year- old's because he can say some really powerful words. He says 'All Done' when he is finished eating, finished playing on the slide, finished swinging, finished riding in the car... see how powerful! He says up and down, he says hungwry - sometimes even when he isn't!, poopy - sometimes when he isn't, and he actually tells you when it's night night time. Of course, he says yes and no. But, his no's are very sweet, not demanding at all... I'm wondering when that will change! He says please, and then he nods his head and gives you the most "I'm the sweetest thing that ever walked the earth" con-man kind of a smile. Works every time! He is almost always in a good mood, unless he needs a nap, and has the most amazing sense of humor that I have ever seen in a little baby. He plays jokes on us all the time. When we were at the zoo and I was holding him, he put his head down on my shoulder like he was going to go to sleep. I said, "are you sleepy, is it night night time?" He looked up at me and laughed, like "ha ha fooled you! There's no way I would go to sleep here!". Then he did it again and again. He also likes to bonk you on the head with his head. For some reason, he thinks this is hysterically funny! Reminds me of when Laura was little and I would ask her what her favorite color was (she was also a really early talker). She would say Orange, and just crack up laughing, because she loved pink! Was really weird and funny! Keegan has that same kind of humor! Hmmm... Maybe that's why he loves her so much!

I am so very grateful that we can be a part of his life, he brings us all so much joy! I was not able to be a part of his Mom's life, and she is the only niece that I have, so I am definitely trying to make up for lost time with him... and it is so amazing that my heart has opened so completely to him. I thank the Lord for giving me this gift, for as long as it will last. The joy of Keegan.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

hey i read your blog!!! yes it was long but totally worth reading when its about the 'anatior and when does keegan say "all done" when hes on the slide .... NEVER!!!