Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Worry... A Sin?

I am the consummate worrier. It is one of the things that I truly excel at. So, you can imagine my surprise to find out that the Bible, in no uncertain terms, advises us to not worry. I get a weekly devotional emailed to me, and this week's topic was worrying. I thought that God just doesn't think that worrying will do any good, and that it isn't good for you and He advises us against it (obviously all true statements), but my devotional went on to say that worrying is a Sin! I was really surprised to hear that. I always thought that my worrying was a result of my Love for other's and showed my concern for them. But, as I looked through the verses of the Bible that teach about worrying... boy was I wrong! I realized that by hiding behind my worrying and anxiety and fear, I am using up precious energy and time that I will never be able to get back. I can see that by letting go of my 'loving worry', I can enable my family to grow and change and I won't be holding them back. I have to pray to God to watch over them and protect and guide them rather than worrying about them. This will be very difficult to do for me, but I believe that my worrying does not help matters At all... and my praying can make a huge difference. So I think exchanging worry for prayer is like exchanging a wooden nickel for gold. It's a no-brainer!

Matthew 6:25 "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?

Matthew 6:33 "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

and my favorite I think:
Matthew 6:27 "Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?


2 comments:

Ross said...

That is a good post. Very hard to apply. Worrying is like paying interest on money you haven't borrowed. I too am an expert on worrying about things that may never come to pass.

Patty Grubb said...

i'll never forget when my friend Denise told me that worry is sin. i laughed. thought she was kidding. but Jesus commands us not to. not suggests, commands. each time we worry, it's like telling God that we don't think He can help us with the problem, or that it's too big for him or that we just aren't really going to include him in the problem or its solving. very very interesting to ponder and put into practice. it will change your life, increase your dependence on your loving Father, and help you to treasure each precious moment with your family. i KNOW you will love that!!!! sue i just love your blog and so enjoy your posts. i can't tell you how very happy it makes me to know we will spend eternity together, chatting and doing stuff together every single day if we want to, making up for all the time on this earth we were apart.
i love you and i thank Jesus for bringing your family into our lives.
patty