Sunday, August 31, 2008

Hee Haw!


Last Sunday we went to the Longhopes Donkey Shelter. I know, who knew that there even WERE shelters for Donkeys! I certainly had never thought about it until my friend Rosanna told me about it. She has adopted two donkeys, Gizmo and Samson. They are a wonderful part of her 'family'.


I had a horse when I was younger, a lazy old man called Little Joe (the Little was ironical, he was a really big horse!). I loved him so much, and I can remember thinking how beautiful and expressive his eyes were. Well... if you have ever looked into a Donkey's eyes, you would say the same thing. Despite their rep as being stubborn and difficult, they are actually very sweet and kind animals. You just have to lower your expecations, and leave some of your ego at the gate! They really can be a little stubborn!

Laura, Adam and I took Keegan when we went to see the Donkeys and he warmed right up to them! Adam was holding Keegan when we first went into the coral, and I think Adam was more afraid than Keegan! LOL!



This particular Donkey Shelter just took in 15 new donkeys that were headed for the slaughter house. They take such good care of the mistreated and malnourished donkeys. What a blessing they are!

If you are interested in learning more, go to: http://www.longhopes.org/

Keegan said 'Hee Haw' all the way home!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love these pictures!! soooo cute! haha hee HAW as keegan would say!